1# Sweet potatoes
or 1 3/4 c. pumpkin puree
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
8 tbsp. (1 stick) unslated butter, chilled
1/4 c. milk
1. Heat oven to 400’F.
2. Wash sweet potatoes and prick all over with a fork.
3. Place on baking sheet; bake until soft (about 1 hr.; the juices will start to run out).
4. When cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh and press through a sieve, or potato ricer, or mash. You should have about 1 3/4 c. of sweet potato puree.
5. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cayenne. With a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
6. In another bowl, whisk together milk and puree.
7. Add to dry ingredients, and mix until well combined.
8. Place dough on lightly floured surface and knead once or twice.
9. Pat out into a 1/2″ thick sheet.
10. Cut out biscuits using a 2″ round cutter or upside-down glass.
11. Bake at 400’F on parchment-lined baking sheet until golden brown; about 20 min.